Churches & Synagogues around the Tuscarawas Valley Ohio Region
Temple Israel was chartered on September 1, 1885 as a liberal congregation, which today is affiliated with the Union for Reform Judaism (URJ). It held services in various locations such as over the Isaac Harter Bank, above Maline's Department Store and under the drill floor of the Danton Independent Battalion of Infantry. The congregation's first building was the McKinley Avenue Temple, which was built in 1919 and served our congregation's needs until 1954 when the congregation moved to the present builing. The McKinley Avenue Temple still stands and serves a Pentecostal congregation today. You can still see the Hebrew letters in the stained glass window above the door!
In April 1844, a series of revival meetings were conducted by Pastor Solomon Ritz in Magnolia, resulting in the formal organization of a 27 member congregation to become known as Trinity Evengelical Lutheran Church. Land for a church building was given in December 1844, with the first building being used for 57 years. This building was moved to East Carrollton Street to be used as a dwelling.